quote

my quote of the moment: "if you can attain repose and calm, believe that you have seized happiness." ~julie-jeanne-eleonore de lespinasse

February 21, 2011

i'm a cat person

there are a lot of things going on right now in my life and in my own head. things that i want to talk about, want to write about and blog about. but they are things i need to think more on, digest a bit, before i share my thoughts with others. and so, instead of talking about the more important, deeper things in my life, i will talk about something i consider a universal truth. in this world, there are cat people and there are dog people.

now, i know that there are people that have both cats and dogs in their lives and in their homes. but i really and truly believe that, if forced to choose, people would be able to decide between having a cat or having a dog and be comfortable with that choice.

personally, i am a cat person. growing up, i always wanted a cat. my father is not a cat person, and so, while living with him, i wasn't allowed to have one. back when my hubby and i were just dating, i had told him that i always wanted a cat. and so, when we first moved in together, one of the first presents he bought for me was a beautiful black kitten, who i named isis. all of my in-laws couldn't believe that i would want a cat more than i dog, but i loved that kitten. she used to greet me at the door when i would come home from work, she would come when i called her, and she would sleep at the foot of my bed. giving her up was one of the hardest things i had to do, but unfortunately i wasn't able to take care of her and my two young boys.

the years went by, the boys grew up, and we moved into a new house. eventually the time was right and i was able to get another cat. this was a rescue cat, who my boys named percy after the green number 6 engine from the thomas the train series. this was another friendly cat that didn't act like a cat. i taught him to roll over so i could pet his belly, i taught him to sit up like a dog for a treat, and he was a great mouser. even the dog people in my life had to admit he was a great cat. unfortunately, i was again forced to give him up when i had fishie.

eventually i know the time will be right and the stars will align and i will get a cat again. and eventually my hubby, who really is a dog person, will be able to get the dog he always wanted. though he will be the one that has to take care of a smelly, drooling, wiggly pup. i will stick with a cool and laid back cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment